Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 fall meeting was held virtually via Zoom on Saturday, October 3, with 40+ participants, including several representatives from tour companies.
In addition to reports on Council trips and other activities, the primary items of business at the BRSC meeting were an update on the status of the Council website, reports on upcoming 2021 Council trips, selection of tour operators for the 2022 Western Carnival and Eurofest trips, and a discussion of destinations for 2023.
Summary of 2021 Council Trips
, CO, Feb. 6–13, 2021.
Dave Karczmarek, Baltimore Ski Club.
This trip is still on track and has space available. Given that Telluride is rarely crowded, the resort does not anticipate having to use a reservation system to manage skier density at acceptable pandemic levels.
– Davos, SUI, Feb. 26–Mar. 6, 2021. BRSC coordinator:
Susie Pumphrey, Pentagon Ski Club. Tour operator:
Holidaze Ski Tours. Canceled due to insufficient response from BRSC clubs, attributable in part to pandemic uncertainties and continuing travel restrictions. Only one club had signed a contract.
– Jay Peak
, VT, Mar. 7–12, 2021. BRSC coordinator:
Dave Karczmarek, Baltimore Ski Club. Tour operator:
Banchi Outdoor Adventures. As of Oct. 3 this trip is still on, but Vermont’s COVID-19 quarantine requirements will likely preclude the use of bus transportation from the Council region. Participants will need to drive themselves and certify upon arrival that they have quarantined in their home state before traveling to Vermont. A final go/no-go decision will be made on or about Nov. 13. In the meantime, registrations are still being accepted and plenty of slots remain available. If the trip does have to be canceled, it will likely be rescheduled for 2022.
Plans for 2022 Council Trips
– Jackson Hole
, WY, Jan. 29–Feb. 5, 2022. BRSC Coordinator:
Dave Karczmarek, Baltimore Ski Club. Bids were solicited from three tour operators. All three proposals received significant support, but Winter Ski & Sport garnered the most votes and was awarded the trip.
, AUT, Feb. 18-26, 2022. BRSC Coordinator:
Susie Pumphrey, Pentagon Ski Club. Bids were solicited from three tour operators. One vendor chose not to bid, leaving only two proposals to choose from. This trip was also awarded to Winter Ski & Sport, by acclamation, based on a clearly superior submission.
– TBD, pending the final decision on the 2021 Winterfest trip.
Destinations for the 2023 Eurofest and Western Carnival trips will be decided at the Spring 2021 meeting. In the meantime, input from member clubs is solicited for the following prospective venues:
Western Carnival 2023
Highlights from Executive Committee Reports
– The Council bank account has a cash balance of $29,663.30 and pending liabilities of $2,875.00. Sources of income include club dues, trip sanction fees (waived this year), and meeting registrations. Cash on hand is sufficient to cover the up-front deposits required for large trips and fund possible future initiatives, such as an enhanced website.
– The Council’s webmaster passed away following a sudden illness and was not able to convey website access credentials to other Council officers. The new webmaster, Yasmin Beg, has so far been unable to access the Council website but has submitted proof of ownership to the hosting service. The Council will be looking into setting up a new website, probably sometime next year. In the meantime, the existing website has not been updated for many months and does not reflect this year’s schedule of Council trips or sanctioned trips by member clubs. The Council has therefore waived the $10 sanctioning fee for trips during the 2020/2021 season. As of Oct. 3, 40 trips have been sanctioned for the 2020-2021 season.
– The positions of Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer will be up for election at the spring 2021 meeting. Anyone interested in serving in one of these positions or on the nominating committee should contact Dave Karczmarek, BRSC Vice President.
– The spring BRSC meeting is scheduled for May 1, 2021, tentatively in person at Wildfire restaurant in Tysons Galleria mall, Tysons Corner, VA.
Submitted by Tom Crockett, 10/21/2020